Connect with us

Global

Why Are the UK and France Fighting Over Fishing?

Avatar

Published

on

France has detained a British scallop trawler in the port of Le Havre and fined another UK fishing vessel.

The latest post-Brexit row over fishing waters has once again revived a French threat to British energy supplies.

And the UK has accused France of moving towards a breach of international law and promised an “appropriate and calibrated response”.

Sky News looks at what’s sparked the latest tensions in the Channel and how the row might escalate.

Image:
The scallop vessel named Cornelis was boarded by French authorities

What’s happened?

Advertisement

A scallop vessel named Cornelis, owned by Macduff Shellfish, was boarded by French authorities on Thursday and ordered into the port of Le Havre, the company said.

Macduff said its vessel was “legally fishing for scallop in French waters” and claimed it was being used as “another pawn in the ongoing dispute between the UK and France” over the implementation of post-Brexit fishing agreements.

More on Brexit

Brexit: UK gearing up for major clash with EU as it convenes committee to look at fallout from triggering Article 16 and suspending Northern Ireland cooperation

Brexit: France detains British trawler owned by Macduff Shellfish as fishing rights row intensifies

Brexit: France releases list of possible sanctions it could impose against UK over fishing dispute

The French sea ministry said in a statement that it had fined two British fishing vessels and “immobilised” one of them overnight.

They added that the fines resulted from new boat checks that are “part of the tightening of controls in the Channel, in the context of discussions on licences with the UK and the European Commission”.

Annick Girardin, France’s minister of the sea, said that one vessel was fined “for refusing to let the check take place”, while the other vessel “didn’t have the right to fish in the zone because it didn’t have a licence”.

The UK government has insisted the detained vessel did have a licence issued, but suggested it may have subsequently been withdrawn from a list of licensed vessels for “unclear” reasons.

What are the post-Brexit agreements on fishing?

Under the terms of the Brexit trade deal, which came into force on 1 January, EU access to UK waters and UK access to EU waters is now managed through a licensing system for fishing vessels.

Known as the Trade and Cooperation Agreement, the Brexit trade deal will also see UK fishing boats end up with a greater share of fish from UK waters, with part of the EU’s previous share being transferred during an “adjustment period” until 2026.

Image:
Cornelis was ordered into the port of Le Havre, Pic: MarineTraffic.com

Previously, when it was a member of the EU, the UK was part of the bloc’s Common Fisheries Policy, which gave all European fishing fleets equal access to EU waters.

What do the UK and France disagree on?

According to the French government, the UK has only issued half the fishing licences that France believes it “is entitled to”.

But Environment Secretary George Eustice has said the UK has licensed 98% of the EU vessels that applied for access to UK waters.

“Since 31 December last year, the UK has issued licences to fish in our exclusive economic zone to 1,673 EU vessels,” he told MPs.

“This includes 736 French vessels, and 121 vessels have been licensed to fish in the UK six to 12 nautical mile zone, of which 103 are French.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

French ‘threats’ will be met by response

Conservative MP David Duguid, who is the prime minister’s fisheries envoy, suggested the dispute centred on French vessels not being able to provide the evidence required to obtain a licence.

He told Sky News: “I think there are many vessels on the French side who previously had access [to UK waters] but didn’t necessarily build the track record.

“Or at least they can’t provide the evidence of that track record which is required to obtain a licence.”

Ms Girardin disputed the UK’s claim, saying that only 90% (rather than 98%) of EU vessels who applied were granted UK licences.

“Obviously, the missing 10% are for the French,” she added.

What about Jersey and Guernsey?

To complicate matters, the Channel Islands of Jersey and Guernsey are British Crown Dependencies and responsible for issuing their own licences to EU vessels to fish in their territorial waters.

The government of Jersey, an island that sits only 14 miles off the French coast, said the issuance of licences was a “complex, evidence-based process” that it was continuing to approach “with good faith”.

Image:
There were concerns of a possible blockade of Jersey by French boats earlier this year

They said that “further progress” has this week been made “on the outstanding applications from French vessels for licences to fish in Jersey’s territorial waters”.

What has France threatened?

Ms Girardin has described the dispute as “not war” but “a fight”, adding: “The French fishermen have some rights, an agreement has been signed.

“We must have this agreement implemented, we have fishing rights, we must defend them and we defend them.”

The French minister said her country does not yet have “the number of licences we expect”, especially from Jersey.

And, as such, she warned of retaliatory measures being “progressively implemented” from next month.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

French Minister: ‘It is a fight’ with UK

Asked if France could revive its previous threat to cut off power to Jersey – which receives 95% of its electricity from France through undersea cables – Ms Girardin said it “wouldn’t be serious to say we cut the electricity”.

But she added that sanctions could include the raising of tariffs.

Other retaliatory measures being suggested by the French include:

o Banning British fishing vessels in some French ports
o Reinforcement of customs and hygiene controls
o Routine security checks on British vessels
o Reinforcement of controls on lorries to and from the UK

How did the UK respond?

Responding to the French threats, Mr Eustice said: “We believe these are disappointing and disproportionate and not what we would expect from a close ally and partner.

“The measures being threatened do not appear to be compatible with the Trade and Cooperation Agreement or wider international law and, if carried through, will be met with an appropriate and calibrated response.”

Could the Royal Navy be brought in again?

In May this year, in a previous episode of the post-Brexit fishing dispute, the UK deployed two Royal Navy vessels to Jersey amid concerns of a possible blockade of the island by French boats.

Image:
HMS Tamar was sent to patrol Jersey’s waters in May

But Number 10 has said, as yet, there are “no plans” to once again send the Royal Navy to protect British vessels in the Channel.

Have there been fishing disputes before?

Prior to the UK’s membership of the EU’s Common Fisheries Policy, there had been what were known as the “Cod Wars” between Icelandic and British fishing vessels in the late 1950s to 1970s.

These violent clashes were sparked by Iceland asserting control over the seas surrounding the island.

Image:
The ‘Cod Wars’ saw violent clashes between British and Icelandic vessels

The Royal Navy became involved by escorting British trawlers.

In what was dubbed the “Scallop Wars” in the summer of 2018, tensions erupted between French and British boats around the Baie de Seine waters.

What about the French election?

Our Europe correspondent Adam Parsons has suggested next April’s French presidential election could be a factor in the current fishing dispute.

Image:
French President Emmanuel Macron is facing an election next April

“Emmanuel Macron is aware that, with a presidential election on the horizon, he wants to shore up his support in northern France, where fishing is a potent topic,” he said.

“He also thinks that picking a fight with Britain has political value. The AUKUS submarine deal infuriated Macron and, after years of Brexit wrangling, there is mistrust of Westminster politicians.

“Macron is keen to portray himself as the de facto political leader of the EU and, right now, having a row with Boris Johnson won’t do him any harm.”

Read More

Article: news.sky.com

Global

WHO Estimates 15m People Have Died Directly or Indirectly From COVID – More Than Double Official Death Toll

Avatar

Published

on

The World Health Organisation estimates that 15 million people worldwide have now died of coronavirus – or as a result of its impact on health services.

WHO data shows the number of excess COVID mortalities to be somewhere between 13.3 million and 16.6 million people from 1 January 2020 to 31 December 2021. This is more than double the official death toll of around six million.

Excess mortality refers to the number of people who have died of the virus either directly or indirectly by being unable to access health services for other conditions.

Croatia drops entry requirement, as Apple hit by China lockdown; follow live COVID updates

The figures were compiled using country-reported data and statistical modelling, the WHO said.

Advertisement

There were 14.9 million excess deaths associated with COVID-19 by the end of 2021, the UN body said on Thursday.

Most excess COVID deaths (86%) happened in Asia, Europe and the Americas, according to the figures.

More on Covid-19

COVID-19: Deaths involving coronavirus rise for sixth successive week in England and Wales, ONS says

Cinderella cast members call for compensation after show cancelled

Man accused of using coronavirus loans to fund terror organisation Islamic State in Syria

Middle-income countries accounted for 81% of deaths, with 28% occurring in upper-middle-income countries and 4% in low-income ones.

Some 68% of all excess deaths worldwide happened in just 10 countries.

There was a higher rate for men (57%) than there was for women (43%), with more excess deaths among the elderly than younger generations.

Podcast
Due to your consent preferences, you’re not able to view this.
Open Privacy Options

Follow the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

WHO director-general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus commented: “These sobering data not only point to the impact of the pandemic but also to the need for all countries to invest in more resilient health systems that can sustain essential health services during crises, including stronger health information systems.

“WHO is committed to working with all countries to strengthen their health information systems to generate better data for better decisions and better outcomes.”

Read More

Original Source: news.sky.com

Continue Reading

Global

Pope Francis Seen Using Wheelchair for the First Time for Mobility Reasons

Avatar

Published

on

The Pope has been pictured using a wheelchair – the first time he’s used one in public due to the knee pain that’s made it hard for him to walk and stand.

Francis, 85, was wheeled on stage and helped into a seat during an audience with a group of nuns and religious superiors from around the world at the Vatican.

He appears to be having a flare-up of sciatica, a nerve condition he suffers with that he’s called his “troublesome guest”.

The Pope has had to cancel or cut short activities several times in the last month because of pain in his right knee.

He was pictured in a wheelchair last July after major intestinal surgery, but this is believed to be the first time he’s used one in public due to his mobility problems.

Advertisement

Before Thursday’s event, he was able to walk the roughly 10 metres or so from the side entrance of the stage to his seat with some help.

He recently received some injections to try to relieve the pain but has continued to struggle.

More on Pope Francis

Be kind to your mother-in-law, urges Pope Francis

Ukraine war: ‘In the name of God – stop this massacre’ – Pope’s message to Vladimir Putin

Pope Francis praises Morocco for ‘beautiful’ solidarity over boy trapped in well

His impaired movement was apparent over Easter when he attended but did not take charge of masses at St Peter’s Basilica, instead delegating a cardinal or archbishop to preside.

During a trip to Malta in April he was also pictured using an elevator platform to get on and off the plane.

Read More

Original Article: news.sky.com

Continue Reading

Global

Woman Pulled Alive From Rubble Six Days After Building Collapsed

Avatar

Published

on

A woman has been found alive in the rubble of a building that partially collapsed almost six days earlier, Chinese state media has said.

At least five people are confirmed to have died and possibly dozens are still missing following the disaster in the city of Changsha, in central China‘s Hunan Province, on 29 April.

The unidentified woman has become the 10th survivor and was rescued shortly after midnight today, about 132 hours after the rear of the six-storey building suddenly caved in, the official Xinhua News Agency has reported.

The woman was conscious and told rescuers how to pull her out without causing further injury, Xinhua added.

Teams had used dogs and hand tools as well as drones and electronic life detectors in the search.

Advertisement

All the survivors were reportedly in good condition after being treated in a hospital and it is thought intermittent rain showers over the last few days may have helped their chances of survival without food or water.

At least nine people have been arrested in relation to the collapse of what Xinhua has described as a “self-built building”.

More on China

Morgue staff in Shanghai open body bag to find man alive inside

China: Five people rescued from building collapse, as President Xi Jinping calls for dozens still missing to be found ‘at all costs’

Hostile states pose ‘real risk’ to UK security as MPs warn reforms needed to prevent ‘next great parliamentary scandal’

This includes its owner, on suspicion of ignoring building codes or committing other violations.

Three people in charge of design and construction were also held, along with five others who allegedly gave a false safety assessment for a guest house on the building’s fourth to sixth floors.

The building also housed residences, a cafe and shops.

Image:
An aerial photo shows the site of the collapsed residential building in Changsha, central China’s Hunan Province

There has been increase in the number of collapses of self-built buildings in recent years.

Last month, Chinese President Xi Jinping called for additional checks to uncover structural weaknesses.

Following the building collapse at the weekend, he urged for more victims to be found in the rubble “at all costs”.

Poor adherence to safety standards, including the illegal addition of extra floors and failure to use reinforcing iron bars, is often blamed for similar disasters.

China also suffers from decaying infrastructure such as gas pipes that has led to explosions and collapses.

Read More

Source: news.sky.com

Continue Reading

Trending

BaypointNews.com